Wednesday, April 16, 2014

General, Reusable, Metadata Ontology

I recently created a new ontology, following the principles discussed in Ontology Summit 2014's Track A. (If you are not familiar with the Summit, please check out some of my earlier posts.) My goal was to create a small, focused, general, reusable ontology (with usage and scope information, examples of each concept, and more). I must admit that it was a lot more time-consuming than I anticipated. It definitely takes time to create the documentation, validate and spell-check it, make sure that all the possible information is present, etc., etc.

I started with something relatively easy (I thought), which was a consolidation of basic Dublin Core and SKOS concepts into an OWL 2 ontology. The work is not yet finished (I have only been playing with the definition over the last few days). The "finished" pieces are the ontology metadata/documentation (including what I didn't map and why), and several of the properties (contributor, coverage, creator, date, language, mimeType, rights and their sub-properties). The rest is all still a work-in-progress.

It has been interesting creating and dog-fooding the ontology. I can definitely say that it was updated based on my experiences in using it!

You can check out the ontology definition on github (http://purl.org/ninepts/metadata). My "master" definition is in the .ofn file (OWL functional syntax), and I used Protege to generate a Turtle encoding from it. My goals are to maintain the master definition in a version-control-friendly format (ofn), and also providing a somewhat human-readable format (ttl). I also want to experiment with different natural language renderings that are more readable than Turtle (but I am getting ahead of myself).

I would appreciate feedback on this metadata work, and suggestions for other reusable ontologies (that would help to support industry and refine the development methodology). Some of the ontologies that I am contemplating are ontologies for collections, events (evaluating and bringing together concepts from several, existing event ontologies), actors, actions, policies, and a few others.

Please let me know what you think.

Andrea

No comments:

Post a Comment