Thursday, April 17, 2014

Downloading the Metadata Ontology Files from GitHub

Since I posted my ontology files to GitHub, and got some emails that the downloads were corrupted, I thought that I should clarify the download process.

You are certainly free to fork the repository and get a local copy. Or, you can just download the file(s) by following these instructions:
  • LEFT click on the file in the directory on GitHub
  • The file is displayed with several tabs across the top. Select the Raw tab.
  • The file is now displayed in your browser window as text. Save the file to your local disk using the "Save Page As ..." drop-down option, under File.
After you download the file(s), you can then load one of them into something like Protege. (It is only necessary to load one since they are all the same.) Note that there are NO classes, data or object properties defined in the ontology. There are only annotation properties that can be used on classes, data and object properties. Since I need this all to be usable in reasoning applications, I started with defining and documenting annotation properties.

I try to note this in a short comment on the ontology (but given the confusion, I should probably expand the comment). I am also working on a metadata-properties ontology which defines some of the annotation properties as data and object properties. This will allow (for example) validating dateTime values and referencing objects/individuals in relations (as opposed to using literal values). It is important to note, however, that you can only use data and object properties with individuals (and not with class or property declarations, or you end up with OWL Full with no computational guarantees/no reasoning).

Lastly, for anyone that objects to using annotation properties for mappings (for example, where I map SKOS' exactMatch in the metadata-annotations ontology), no worries ... More is coming. As a place to start, I defined exactMatch, moreGeneralThan, moreSpecificThan, ... annotation properties for documentation and human-consumption. (I have to start somewhere. :-) And, I tried to be more precise in my naming than SKOS, which names the latter two relations, "broader" and "narrower", with no indication of whether the subject or the object is more broad or more narrow. (I always get this mixed up if I am away from the spec for more than a week. :-)

I want to unequivocally state that annotation properties are totally inadequate to do anything significant. But, they are a start, and something that another tool could query and use. Separately, I am working on a more formal approach to mapping but starting with documentation is where I am.

Obviously, there is a lot more work in the pipeline. I just wish I had more time (like everyone).

In the meantime, please let me know if you have more questions about the ontologies or any of my blog entries.

Andrea

No comments:

Post a Comment