Sunday, May 31, 2009

The Semantic Web in 3 Words

My husband asked me to explain the Semantic Web in three words (because I was going on about the web and my ideas) ... So, here they are:
  • Data
  • Linkages
  • Infrastructure
And now, I get to use more than 3 words :-).

Data is usually meta-data (data about data) - what a document is about, additional information like who the author is, etc. But, it can also be the raw information - like a business vocabulary.

Linkages are the relationships between the data. The information that ties the data together and lets you infer and extrapolate.

Infrastructure is the formalisms of the languages (RDF, RDF Schema, OWL, SPARQL, ...) and the services that are already provided (W3C's Linked Data, Protege, Pellet, ...). Data without backing services and formalisms means that you have to create everything yourself and there is no exponential building of knowledge that comes from sharing the data.

That's it. Let me know if you agree with my 3 words or have different ones.

2 comments:

  1. Andrea,

    I see four. The fourth is what I call the information model. The information model is made up of the data model, reference data, and the many (I repeat many) classified relationships between classes of the reference data.

    So this is a very ISO 15926 view of the world but as we use this in our business I’m not sure how to derive semantic precision and understanding without it. The need for precision is a requirement to reduce ambiguity. Ambiguity equals cost.

    So maybe in a broader sense the fourth item would be upper ontology? Or is the idea behind “linked data” more free form – wild? Freedom versus order? We want freedom but we like order. Maybe the path to the step change is a blending of the two?

    Robin Benjamins

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great insight ... that I both agree and disagree with. :-)

    The information model comes from the data and the linkages. That is actually the goal (for me) - and not a component of the goal. It is a result of the Semantic Web technologies.

    For me, an upper ontology is just more data. And, there are many possibilities to choose from - IEEE's SUMO, the EU's PROTON, ISO 15926 for your domain, Cyc, etc. The goal in using an upper ontology is to provide the frame of reference in which to merge more specific ontologies - using the linkages of the Semantic Web (subclass of, same as, disjoint from, ...).

    As for your last question, again the answer is probably "both" - freedom and order. From the freedom of adding different aspects of knowledge and data, you can mine "order".

    Feel free to disagree ...

    ReplyDelete